Article 228: Composition, etc. of Islamic Council
1. There shall be constituted within a period of ninety days from the commencing day a Council of Islamic
Ideology, in this part referred to as the Islamic Council.
2. The Islamic Council shall consist of such members, being not less than eight and not more than twenty, as the President may appoint from amongst persons having knowledge of the principles and philosophy of Islam as enunciated in the Holy Quran and Sunnah, or understanding of the economic, political, legal or administrative problems of Pakistan.
3. While appointing members of the Islamic Council the President shall ensure that-
a. so far as practicable various schools of thought are represented in the Council;
b. not less than two of the members are persons each of whom is, or has been a Judge of the Supreme Court or of a High Court;
c. not less than one-third of the members are persons each of whom has been engaged, for a period of not less than fifteen years, in Islamic research or instruction; and
d. at least one member is a woman.
4.The President shall appoint one of the members of the Islamic Council to be the Chairman thereof.
5. Subject to clause (6) a member of the Islamic Council shall hold office for a period of three years.
6. A member may, by writing under his hand addressed to the President, resign his office or may be removed by the President upon the passing of a resolution for his removal by a majority of the total membership of the Islamic Council.